We’ll teach you what to do and what not to.
Elden Ring is here, and so is the daunting task of figuring out what to do first.
The Soulsborne formula has been a hit ever since Demon's Souls launched in 2009, but it can be difficult to get your bearings when you jump into one of these games for the first time
If you're new to this style of game, Elden Ring makes its learning curve very clear. There are no tutorials or explanations. You're dropped into its world and must figure out how everything works on your own.
You'll probably die many times before you get used to the way combat works, learn how to dodge properly and figure out how to use healing items.
Once you've gotten a feel for the basics though, it's time to start exploring the world of Elden Ring. It's time to start adapting.
So, what to do?
The best thing to do first when starting Elden Ring is to head over to Castle Stormveil, seeing as it's your first Site of Grace. You'll know you're in the right place when you light the first Site of Grace with the crystal light emerging from the top of it pointing you in the direction. When Varre, the character nearby, will tell you that this Castle is your first port of call - and if you look to the west, you can see it on the cliffs.
There are some hurdles in that path so let's hold off reaching the Castle for some time.
Here is what you should do first in Elden Ring:
- First, visit the Church of Elleh in the north. Avoid the tree Sentinel on your way there. Afterwards, find Kale, a merchant who sells Crafting Kit and Cookbooks- also a torch if you feel adventurous to explore nearby dungeons.
- Your first port of call needs to be Gatefront Ruins which is along the critical path- next to the gate where you can approach Castel Stormveil.
- You might be wondering how to level up. Visit Grace east or west of Gatefront Ruins and Melina will visit you. This is where you get Torrent, a horse to help you explore the regions faster.
- It's worth exploring local caves if you want some bitesize dungeons. However, you’ll need a torch before setting off to your quest. You will get challenged in lieu of decent rewards by the bosses inside- Demi Human Chief, Beastman of Farum Azula, Erdtree Burial Watchdog.
- It’s worth skirting Agheel Lake to the east although you are warned by various characters. After the invasion, You need to visit Patches- this person has an item that helps you with the big boss very soon. This is also where you can buy Stonesword Key, which allows you to access specific locked areas.
- This lake is where you can find Twinblade, one of the best weapons in the opening hours. You’ll be needing it to increase your stats. If you also want to cast magic, then its good to find a staff location.
- You need Smithing Stones to upgrade regardless of the weapon of your choice. Hence, you need to find it. There are two locations where you could check- dungeon north-west of the lake or a troll-covered field nearby Stormhill.
- Lastly, to help you heal better, there are some Flask upgrades within reach, and if you are feeling adventurous and want help in the battle, you can also summon the spirits.
Assuming, by this point you should have access to a good weapon, knowledge on how things work and your character is probably leveled up too.
These are the basic overview steps of what Limgrave has in store. But, you will find these slowly throughout if you know where to go. Everybody has a different pace, and there’s something different and new around every corner. And, when you’re ready, start on your journey!